I've never felt more relieved to turn in an application in... well, ever. I've been neglecting the blog, per usual, but I figured an update on the visa front was appropriate since I wrote about it two and a half months ago.
After my initial background check (BGC) got lost in the mail, I had to wait 6 long weeks to get it back, as the wait time had (obviously) increased while mine was at the bureau. Many telephone calls later, it miraculously arrived on a Saturday, and I quickly realized all was not over. The BGC needed a notarization on it in order to get another certification stamp on it- the Apostille of the Hague. It was more looming than it sounds.
After 4 tries for a notarization on a piece of paper that I didn't need to sign, I finally used my powers of persuasion (and $7) at a tiny UPS store to get the job done. Let me just say I am thankful that we had to send it to Tallahassee Dept. of State rather than DC again, cause they're a hot mess when it comes to returning things quickly.
I'll skip to the part where I had to get a certified translation of this same document, and I should point out that I'm pretty sure this part was unique to Miami. Why they of all people need a translation is beyond me. I emailed some companies for quotes, of which the cheapest was $65 for a half-page translation that I could do myself. I used a public notary instead and am hoping for the best. Why do Spaniards have to be so complicated?
Either way, with the application in, the thought is really sinking in... I'm leaving in 6 weeks! Gotta make these last ones count.
No comments:
Post a Comment