Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Piso Saga

Ladies and gentlemen, I have finally found an apartment. Coming to Spain without accommodation really didn't seem like it was going to be such a headache, especially because that's what our program recommended. Some recommendation! At least I speak Spanish, that's all I'm saying.

What I have found, so far, is that Spaniards are much pickier... and much more patient, about who they pick as a roommate. In the states, or at least in college, the mentality was kind of more 'c'est la vie'... as in, I hope my random roommate doesn't turn out to be crazy, but if they do I'll deal with it then. Here, all shame is pushed aside and the roommates try to get to know you/ask personal questions as they show you around their piso (apartment). The first time I said 'yes' to one (after a few days of searching) I was hit with a shock when the girl (a self-proclaimed actress) said she had to see everyone else who was going to come visit the apartment before deciding if she wanted me. Dramatic, no?

I quickly learned the important things about rooms in Spain. Good location, clean (ish), heat, a window, and an elevator (if you want to get fancy).

And so began the saga of interview-like piso showings where I was internally shouting "I'm cool! I swear! Don't I look normal?! Pick me!". I began saying 'yes' to every livable apartment I saw, just because I knew they would need time to think it over. Then I saw my last apartment, and it's great and I said yes on the spot because I really did want it, and the roommates said yes on the spot as well. Shocker! My future roommate even said I looked like an actress. Sold, and sold. I'm supposed to move in on Saturday.

Pictures to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment