After a small rollercoaster of a morning going to more than one bus station, I headed off to Segovia with Ester and Justine. We left around 1 and planned on getting the 9PM bus back to Madrid, which we did (I'm actually surprised!). An hour later, the hustle and bustle of the city was no more, and we were in Segovia. They have a Roman aqueduct, a castle, and a small Calle Mayor, among other things. Everything was picturesque and it was a nice change of pace from Madrid.
After a large lunch (menu del día consisting of paella, fish, potatoes, and flan) we got to check out the aqueduct. The waiter was very helpful, although a bit long winded, and told me all about the aqueduct. Everyone always explains random things to me in great detail. Maybe it's for the same reason that teachers would always look at me when they talked in class, I don't know. Either way, he told me how the aqueduct worked and some history. When he saw my camera, he brought out a photo album of his own pictures that he had taken around Segovia. He told me where I should go (although admittedly there aren't too many options) and said that if I didn't end up with some nice photographs I could go back to him and complain. I never did.
After admiring the aqueduct a bit, we grabbed a coffee and waited for a small bus to take us to the alcázar (castle/tower) which was supposed to be a 45 minute walk away. A forty-five minute walk is completely doable, but after that meal, we were less than enthusiastic about setting off on a trek. Of course, we wait for the bus for way too long before we realize we were looking for the wrong thing. I ask a nice Segovian passerby and we get on the right one. It's a tiny van-esque bus complete with (you guessed it) a screaming child and plenty of older people. When the driver began zooming through the bumpy streets I was immediately brought back to the time Nicole and I were in a rickety bus in Capri, and I immediately put on my headphones to avert some sort of motion sickness. As luck would have it, we were there in approximately... five minutes. Needless to say, that was definitely not a 45 minute walk, and we happily walked back that night with this newfound knowledge.
We took some pictures at the mirador before getting into the alcázar. After getting off the van bus, this little old man followed me and told me to look at the mirador (even though it was clearly right in front of me), so obviously I followed suit. Nice view, eh?
Not a stranger
The alcázar was interesting to see. It was complete with bedrooms, etc and a chapel, and Felipe II got married there (if I'm not mistaken). He's not the most famous Felipe, but still. We walked up to the top of the torre (tower), and it was a flashback to all the towers I've ever walked up in my traveling days. Many winding, steep steps that induce claustrophobia and shortness of breath- but that end up in a lovely (in this case, sunsetting) view. Totally worth it. After I caught my breath (in the freezing air- rough) I couldn't help taking more photos... except the one of me which someone else clearly took, haha (jaja).
Atardecer- Arguably the best time of day for a photograph
One thing that did kind of irk me about Segovia is the amount of cochinillo that they eat (suckling pig). I know that Madrid must consume a crazy amount of jamón on the daily, but I don't see the body and face of a tiny baby pig on every plate here. In Segovia, cochinillo is an expensive delicacy, and everybody goes there to eat it. Restaurants advertise these baby pigs with photos and also display them in their windows. Good morning, Andrea! What a way to wake up. I don't think it helped matters that on the day I went to Segovia I was wearing pink socks with piggies on them. Real mature, I know. But relevant.
Another journey is on the horizon this weekend. Because of the puente and All Saints Day, I have five days off. Lisboa!
In weather news, it's still chilly and it's just going to get even colder. I think it's almost time to get the heaters going inside the apartment. Today, I took a nap with my window door open and that was probably not the smartest idea I've ever had. I'm kind of surprised at my tolerance for cold compared to the Spaniards I've met- for example, at school, all the teachers say they're freezing and they're all bundled up already. Maybe I'm in for a rude awakening as to what 'bundled up' really is. I'll keep you posted.
A
that random couple should pay you for that photo. it would be a perfect wedding invitation
ReplyDelete