Saturday, October 1, 2011

And the saga turns into a fiasco

I last reported that I had found a perfect apartment- perfect area, perfect price, perfect roommates, you get the picture. How quickly have I learned that timeless adage... yeah, that one about things being too good to be true, or something like that. The girl whose room I was going to move into today (the same girl who I had already given a deposit to) decided at the last minute to take a job offer and stay in Madrid.  AKA, to essentially kick me out on my butt. She felt bad, but I think I felt worse. I understand that it's not really her fault, but there was a tense anxious freak-out moment (just one), and then I had to start from scratch.

So I sent a hundred more emails and made as many more phone calls as my saldo ($) would allow, and (to make a long story short), I found the room that I'm writing this from. The room itself is much nicer than the other, with newly painted walls and an EXTERIOR full length pair of window/doors that lead out onto a tiny balcony (exterior is apparently a big deal here). However, the piso probably leaves a thing or two to be desired, such as cheap rent, and oh... a living room. Yeah, but who needs one at my age anyway? Hopefully not me.

The area is the same one I wanted to live in, and I can already tell it's going to be a good time. Being able to walk to and fro to nearly every central sitio is definitely nice, although my feet might tell you otherwise. My shoes too, poor things are getting eaten up.

I took my first trip to IKEA today to christen the making of my new room (and also so I didn't have to use the grandpa comforter that was on my twin bed). It was an experience. First of all, there are three Ikeas in Madrid. Overkill? Not sure, since so far I've seen almost every piso furnished with something from there. Justine and I chose to go to this one that seemed not so far, mostly because Cristina explained  to Justine exactly what to do and how to do it. What a saint. We had to go to a certain metro stop, go to the subterranean levels, and hop on a bus in a big underground garage. Sidenote: I think the driver of the bus thought he was in the movie Speed. Either that, or that he was driving a sports car. It was kind of fun at first, but then I started feeling bus-sick. What else is new.

We arrived to the Ikea within 20-ish minutes, and almost the entire bus got off at the stop. I made friends with a nice older lady who had a scratchy voice and said I spoke Spanish very well for an American. She was cool. I was overwhelmed after minute 5 in the store, and we probably spent 2 hours there. Of course we grabbed something to eat there... including spinach crepes? Who knew. I got sheets, comforter, curtains, frames, hangers, a towel, a pillow, and that's it. It was enough, though. That's for sure. I purchased a huge bag for a euro and some change (you have to buy all your shopping bags here) and popped it on my shoulder (nearly dislocating it) to head back toward the bus/onward to the metro. It must've weighed an easy 35 pounds. I was a spectacle to see, but thankfully my metro stop wasn't tooo far from the bus terminal.

Some visual imagery for you

Pictures of my room to come soon, once I've fully settled in. I begin work at the school on Monday, say what?! Can't wait to meet the little Spanish children. Hasta ahora, A

No comments:

Post a Comment